Welcome to the website of Barry Webb.
Pictures above a. Barry Webb at the piano singing cabaret, b. Headquarters of Klaster Studios in Nepomuk, c. Cast photo for King Arthur by Purcell with Fletcher Players Opera.
Picture below. Barry Webb in 2016
Welcome to the website of Barry Webb,Tenor, Singing Teacher, Arts Administrator, Director, Composer.
Barry Webb has sung with the Royal Opera House, Bayreuth Festival, La Scala Milan and other International companies.
He has appeared in opera, concerts, choral events, cabaret, film and recording sessions.
As well as his career as a singer, he directs opera, composes and teaches singing, song writing, and music, and oversees various music and arts projects.
Details of the various projects he is working on are to be found on www.crosbyculture.com and www.klasterstudios.com.
He is available for singing engagements, and he sings a repertoire ranging from opera, classical songs, to jazz, musicals, and popular song.
He can sing the tenor solo parts for your choral society, and he has sung all the standard oratorio pieces. He is also an experienced performer as an entertainer and music therapist in care homes.
Examples of his singing are to be found below.
Hear below Barry singing Nessun dorma.
Live performance. Bloomsbury Opera concert. Bath Pump Room.
Barry studied philosophy at Cambridge. At university he sang at Clare College, Jesus College, and was a Choral Exhibitioner at Corpus Christi. After teaching in London and studying singing privately with Kenneth Bowen of the Royal Academy of Music, he joined the opera course at the the Royal Northern College of Music on an Entrance Scholarship awarded by the tenor Alexander Young, studying with Joseph Ward and Barbara Robotham. He then studied opera at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama (now the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland) with Joan Alexander as his teacher. Settling in London afterwards, his teachers were Edward Brooks FRCM and Alberto Remedios CBE.
REVIEWS AND COMMENDATIONS
Barry Webb, the splendid tenor soloist, switched from Richard Tauber to stammering Straviskian tartness. Raymond Monelle. Independent.
Barry Webb gave good shape to Lensky`s lines. Nick Kimberley. Opera Magazine.
There were neatly drawn vignettes by… Barry Webb as Curzio. Anthony Payne.
Recent entertainment in care homes
Stapley Care Liverpool
Kingswood Manor Liverpool
Woolton Grange Care Home Liverpool
Woolton Manor Care Home Liverpool
Below. Barry singing in Eugene Onegin with Co-Opera
- Don Ottavio for Scottish Opera.
- An Apprentice (Meistersingers, Wagner) for the Royal Opera House.
- Don Ramiro (Cenerentola) on tour for Pimlico Opera, including performances for prisoners at Wormwood Scrubs and St John`s Smith Square.
- Third Jew (Salome) for the Swedish Festival Folk Opera with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra at the Edinburgh Festival.
- Officer and Caporal in Le Huron by Gretry at the Buxton Festival.
- Don Ottavio for British Youth Opera.
- Lensky (Eugene Onegin) for Co-Opera.
- Tamino (Magic Flute) for Bloomsbury Opera.
- Count Almaviva (Barber of Seville)
- Count Ory (Rossini)
- Philip (The Dinner Engagement, Berkeley) Mozart and Salieri (Rimsky-Korsakov)
- Guillot (Massenet)
Below, Barry singing
1. E lucevan le Stelle, accompanying himself on keyboard, at a recent care home concert.
Photo below. Singing from my own song compositions at the Kamen Theatre in Prague 2014.
A recording of Look Up, by Barry Webb, a song from the series, 2014, below.
Below. Over the roof tops from his flat in Covent Garden with the Royal Opera House in the background in 2000.
- “The 'new' Three Tenors” corporate concerts, replacing Russell Watson, at the Hermitage Hotel Monte Carlo for the Wolsely Group, in Marbella for Peugeot and a UK tour including the NEC Birmingham for the 1999 Motor Show.
- The Hacienda night club in Manchester in cabaret evenings, with Jonathan Nott, now conductor of Bamberg Symphony Orchestra.
- Brompton Opera Tours (on the ship the Queen Elizabeth 2), introduced by Opera Magazine editor Rodney Milnes.
- Bloomsbury Opera 1994 to 1998, concerts in the UK, including the Bath Pump House.
- John Currie Singers concerts in Scotland and the Virtuosi of Scotland. Concerts including Acis and Galatea, the Messiah, Nelson Mass, Harmoniemesse, Berliner Requiem, Mass in A, Stravinsky.
- Haddo House Choral and Operatic Society, Messiah.
- Liverpool Opera Circle. Goro in Madam Butterfly.
- Friends of Scottish Opera. Operatic Evening at Barjarg Tower and Ye Cronies in Dumfries and Galashiels.
- Holywell Music Room, Concert performance of The Mikado.
- Various Choral Societies in the UK.
Hear below Count Almaviva. Live performance. The Opera Company. Canterbury.
MORE RECORDINGS BELOW
1. Damon. Acis and Galatea. Handel. Live performance. Glasgow. John Currie singers.
2. Where er you walk. Private recording, AGED 11 !! Picture below singing at the Morris Motors Festival in Oxford.
Below, Magic Flute news paper clipping, with Bloomsbury Opera,
- King Arthur, Purcell (for which he edited the libretto, conductor Martin Andre) at Corpus Christi College Cambridge in the Old Court and at Minack Theatre Cornwall, the first full opera to be performed there. Both in the open air.
- Eugene Onegin at the Theatre Artaud Kensington London with Co-Opera in 1993 . (programme below)
- Magic Flute at Coram’s Fields Holborn London as an open-air production with Bloomsbury Opera in 1995. (programme below)
- Some of the directors he has worked with as a singer include Elijah Moshinsky, Franco Zeffirelli, Keith Warner, David Poutney, Christoph Schlingensief, Wolfgang Wagner.
Below, view of Zelena Hora from headquarters of Klaster Studios.
- Pegasus Opera`s London Programme Organiser and Funding Co-ordinator, raising finances from public and private sources for opera productions and organising educational workshops.
- He founded Co-opera in London in 1993.
- He founded Bloomsbury Opera in London (1995 to 1998).
- In 2009 he founded Klaster Studios, Prague, presenting concerts and opera performances throughout the Czech Republic and Germany
His works as a composer include
Nepomuk, an opera in 2 acts (midi extracts below of the water scene in the first act and the end of Act 2).
This will be put on by the composer as part of Project Nepomuk involving artists and musicians co-operating around the theme or Understanding ourselves through other cultures.
Performances will be in Liverpool in late 2017, either as a full production or in workshop according to funding available, with the help of artists and musicians from the North and the Czech Republic.
Song series `Hope and Love`
Setting of Psalms 35, 65, 66, 67, 83 (below), 104, 122,
Various settings of SATB a cappella works including Nessun Dorma, You`ll never walk alone, Summertime, Love Story, etc
String Quartet in Eb,
String Quartet in G minor,
Songs. Time flies, Mother Africa, Special moments, Move on.
He is working on Spooky Wookey, an Opera
Composition with Kuba Nych (press for link and play) Just do it
Above, the opera Nepomuk by Barry Webb.
For singing, directing and composition projects I can be contacted by the Email below or via the contact form here.
I am based in the North of England but am able to travel.
I also teach and can be contacted as in the E mail below and through my teaching websites www.voicelessonsliverpool.co.uk and www.singingexpert.co.uk
Full DBS. Full public liability insurance. Member of Incorporated Society of Musicians. Member of Association of Teachers of Singing.
BARRY WEBB M.A (Cantab.), Post Graduate Certificate of Education
General singing and directing enquiries, email@example.com
Teaching information, firstname.lastname@example.org
Barry Webb runs the following projects.
Klaster Studios, an Arts, Music and Heritage project in Nepomuk in the Czech Republic, details to be found at
Crosby Culture, an arts, music, theatre group www.crosbyculture.com
Voicespool, a new opera project, based in the North West in Liverpool
www.voicespool.com Details to be announced
MajorTonic is a new arts and music initiative being set up to take professional artists to perform in care homes.
Music and the arts act as a major tonic for people`s health.